Apricot Wild Rice Salad
Nutty, fruity and packed with flavor, this make-ahead dish is a wholesome side for all kinds of entrees.” —Barbara Schulte, Payson, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min. + chilling
Makes15 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups finely chopped dried apricots
- 2 cups dried cherries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain if necessary. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place apricots in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Stir the apricots, cherries and walnuts into rice. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, maple syrup and salt. Pour over rice mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 293 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Wild Rice Salad in Healthy Cooking December/January 2011