- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- APRICOT FILLING:
- 2 cans (17 ounces each) apricot halves, drained
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- Chocolate curls, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until thickened. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture. Gradually fold in flour. Divide batter between three greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool in pans for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.
- For buttercream, whisk sugar, eggs, yolks, vanilla and coffee in a saucepan. Add chocolate; cook and stir over low heat until thickened (do not boil). Cool completely. In a mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually add chocolate mixture; set aside.
- Finely chop apricots; drain and place in a bowl. Stir in preserves; set aside. Split each cake into two horizontal layers; place one on a serving plate. spread with 2/3 cup buttercream. Top with another cake layer and 2/3 cup apricot filling. Repeat layers twice. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours before serving. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forApricot Torte
"As to the other comment, the first time I made this the layers also didn't rise but the second time I beat it as long as it said and it turned out wonderfully"