Apricot Sweet Potato Cake
I make this cake often. My husband and our two grown daughters love it. It's a hit at potlucks, too—I always get compliment on the moist texture and spicy flavor.—Jean Kimm, Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (without added butter or milk)
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- APRICOT GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Beat in potatoes and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, ginger and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Add pecans and apricots. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cake while warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 633 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 99g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Cake in Country Woman September/October 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.