Apricot Swan Cream Puffs
Creating unusual desserts is a specialty of our food staff. We serve these pretty cream puffs many times through the year for special occasions or just simply to brighten someone's day.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 4o min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- About 3/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth and shiny.
- Cut a hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #10 pastry tip. On a greased baking sheet, pipe twelve 3-in. long S shapes for the swan necks, making a small dollop at the end for head. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- For each swan body, drop remaining batter by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. With a small icing knife or spatula, shape batter into 2-1/2-in. x 2-in. teardrops. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- For filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extracts. Refrigerate until cool.
- Just before serving, spoon about 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup onto serving plates. Cut off top third of swan bodies; set tops aside. Remove any soft dough inside. Spoon 1 tablespoon apricot preserves into bottom of puffs; add filling. Set necks in filling. Cut reserved tops in half lengthwise to form wings; set wings in filling. Place swans on prepared plates. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 304 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Apricot Swan Cream Puffs in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.