- DEVONSHIRE CREAM:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whipping cream, divided
- Jam of your choice
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough cream to achieve a spreading consistency. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- For scones, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add apricots, pecans and orange peel. With a fork, rapidly stir in 1 cup whipping cream just until moistened. turn onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Divide in half; shape each into a ball. Flatten each ball into a 6-in. circle; cut each circle into eight wedges. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with remaining whipping cream. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve with Devonshire cream and jam. Yield: 16 scones (1 cup cream).
Reviews forApricot Scones
"I love these! did find that they needed a bit more liquid to come together, as my heavy whipping cream was VERY thick. The cream mixture is a fun substitute for clotted cream; the real thing is so expensive and hard to get in my area. I like these with apricot jam."