Apricot Round Steak
Looking for a fun alternative to traditional steak sauce? In Harpster, Ohio, Bernadine Dirmeyer serves tender slices of round steak with a sweet apricot sauce that has a hint of pepper. The broiled entree is a snap to prepare and easy on the pocketbook, too, at only 53 cents a serving.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 beef top round steak (3/4 inch thick and 1-3/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Broil beef for 6-8 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook until preserves are melted. Set aside 1/2 cup; brush remaining sauce over steak.
- Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Slice meat on the diagonal; serve with reserved apricot sauce.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 196 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Apricot Round Steak in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.