Apricot Pot Roast
A sweet and tangy apricot sauce tastes luscious with tender beef and vegetables. Ruth Hyde from Madrid, New York shares this easy pot roast recipe, conveniently sized for two.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 3/4 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon water, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil on all sides. Add the carrots, sweet potato, celery, onion and rosemary. Pour apricot nectar and 1 cup water over beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables; keep warm. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 479 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 5g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Apricot Pot Roast in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007