A sweet and tangy apricot sauce tastes luscious with tender beef and vegetables. Ruth Hyde from Madrid, New York shares this easy pot roast recipe, conveniently sized for two.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon water, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil on all sides. Add the carrots, sweet potato, celery, onion and rosemary. Pour apricot nectar and 1 cup water over beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables; keep warm. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Pot Roast in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007, p47