Apricot Pineapple Braid
Our family can't wait for Christmas morning, knowing this fruit-filled favorite will be on the table. I make several extras for our friends' breakfasts, too.
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the water, milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Beat in eggs until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 16x8-in. rectangle. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Spoon filling down the lengthwise center third of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm braids.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 163 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.