Apricot Nutmeg Bread
"Slices of this fruity bread are good for breakfast when toasted and spread with fresh strawberry jam," reports Anna Kinney of Farmington, New Mexico. Nutmeg complements the apricot flavor in this golden soft-textured loaf.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices)
- 1 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select sweet bread cycle. Choose medium crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed). Just before final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add apricots.