Apricot Nut Bread
My family likes bread, apricots and nuts, so I put the three together to create this recipe. It’s fairly easy to make, and everyone loves it. It never lasts long in our house. –Robert Logan of Clayton, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-1/4 cups chopped dried apricots
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup apricot nectar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over apricots; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk the egg, apricot nectar and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Drain apricots; fold into batter with pecans and orange zest.
- Transfer to an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For glaze, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Cool to room temperature; drizzle over bread. Sprinkle with pecans.