Apricot Layer Cake Recipe
"Pssst! Don't tell anyone this tender fruity layer cake starts with a convenient mix!" urges Eureka, Illinois farm woman Molly Knapp.
- 1 package (18-1/2 ounces) white cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon extract
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- BROWN BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds or until moistened. Beat on high for 2 minutes Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; cool completely. Split each layer in half horizontally. Spread the cut side of each bottom layer with 1/3 cup of apricot preserves; replace tops and set aside. For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, cook and stir butter over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Pour into a mixing bowl; add 3 cups confectioners' sugar and orange juice. Beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining sugar to reach spreading consistency. Spread frosting between filled cakes; frost top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 511 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (63g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Apricot Layer Cake
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC