- 7-3/4 to 8-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, cubed, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) apricot cake and pastry filling
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and 1 cup butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add egg yolks; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll each into a 2-1/2-in. circle. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, make a 1-1/2-in. indentation in the center of each roll; fill with about 2 teaspoons apricot filling. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: About 4 dozen.
Reviews forApricot Kolaches
"this is a delicious pastry. would not change anything in this recipe. made this recipe to give to others and plan on making this to take for treats for after church. thank you for sharing this recipe with others."