VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 pounds fresh apricots
- 6 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 2 to 4 habanero peppers, seeded
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 7 cups sugar
- Pit and chop apricots; place in a Dutch oven or stockpot. Stir in lemon juice. Place habaneros in a blender; add a small amount of apricot mixture. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Pour hot mixture into 11 hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. For best results, let processed jam stand at room temperature for 2 weeks to set up. Yield: 11 half-pints.
Originally published as Habanero Apricot Jam in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p228