Apricot, Cranberry & Walnut Pilaf
With dried fruit, nuts and Italian seasoning, this rice dish is a deliciously different medley of tastes and textures. It’s always on the menu for our big holiday feasts.—Eva Sorrentino, Craig, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in rice, broth and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 308 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Festive Rice Pilaf in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.