Apricot, Cranberry & Walnut Pilaf
With dried fruit, nuts and Italian seasoning, this rice dish is a deliciously different medley of tastes and textures. It’s always on the menu for our big holiday feasts.—Eva Sorrentino, Craig, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in rice, broth and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 308 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Festive Rice Pilaf in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014