Apricot Cookie Strips
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min./batch + standing
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 12-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/4-in.-deep indentation lengthwise down the center of each log. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Spoon preserves into indentation. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board; cut into 3/4-in. slices. Place on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt vanilla chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm cookies. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 108 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 22, 2017
Love the apricot jam on top of fhe cookies. It complements them nicely!!
Jul 13, 2011
I changed this up a little for my family's taste, and they absolutely loved it. Instead of indenting the dough, I spread a thin layer of strawberry preserves over all the dough. I also cooked it 2 minutes longer both times. I didn't have cream cheese, so I used plain powedered sugar/milk glaze, which worked great. The entire thing makes up so easily and quickly, I'll definitely make these again. I plan to try plum jelly instead of strawberry preserves next time. Likely any flavor would work beautifully. The almond extract makes the cookie part extra special.
Dec 27, 2010
I would make them narrower and a bit thicker in the future as they do break in the middle. I will use a different recipe for the frosting as I could not get the butter/vanilla chocolate to be thin enough to drizzle. They are delicious and a hit with many who tasted them this year.
Dec 20, 2010
These are really delicious, though I also found they tended to break in the middle ...
Nov 7, 2009
These cookies are yummy, and easy to make. I found that they tended to break in the middle where the indentation was, so I just cut them in half. The next time I make them I will try making two indentations, then cut them in half. I made these for our church bake sale, and they were a hit!