Apricot Cookie Strips
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min./batch + standing
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 12-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/4-in.-deep indentation lengthwise down the center of each log. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Spoon preserves into indentation. Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board; cut into 3/4-in. slices. Place on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt vanilla chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over warm cookies. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 108 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jun 22, 2017
Love the apricot jam on top of fhe cookies. It complements them nicely!!
Jul 13, 2011
I changed this up a little for my family's taste, and they absolutely loved it. Instead of indenting the dough, I spread a thin layer of strawberry preserves over all the dough. I also cooked it 2 minutes longer both times. I didn't have cream cheese, so I used plain powedered sugar/milk glaze, which worked great. The entire thing makes up so easily and quickly, I'll definitely make these again. I plan to try plum jelly instead of strawberry preserves next time. Likely any flavor would work beautifully. The almond extract makes the cookie part extra special.
Dec 27, 2010
I would make them narrower and a bit thicker in the future as they do break in the middle. I will use a different recipe for the frosting as I could not get the butter/vanilla chocolate to be thin enough to drizzle. They are delicious and a hit with many who tasted them this year.
Dec 20, 2010
These are really delicious, though I also found they tended to break in the middle ...
Nov 7, 2009
These cookies are yummy, and easy to make. I found that they tended to break in the middle where the indentation was, so I just cut them in half. The next time I make them I will try making two indentations, then cut them in half. I made these for our church bake sale, and they were a hit!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.