Apricot-Coconut French Toast
As a busy activity director in RV parks, Jean Groen of Apache Junction, Arizona recalls, “I was always looking for easy food to prepare for various functions. This breakfast dish always brought raves and recipe requests!” JEAN’S TIP: “Leftovers, if there are any, are wonderful. Just microwave them for 15 seconds per slice.”
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 7 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 16 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- Maple syrup
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat apricots and water on high for 2 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- Pour butter into a 15x10x1-in. baking pan and tilt to coat bottom. Sprinkle with coconut and apricots. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over fruit.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Dip bread into egg mixture; soak for 1 minute. Place slices close together over coconut mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with syrup.
Editor's Note: A dark baking pan is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 359 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 209mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Overnight French Toast in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007