Apricot Chicken Rice Salad
Dried apricots, a hint of mint and lime juice combine with more conventional chicken salad ingredients in this unique, easy and refreshing twist on an old favorite from our Test Kitchen crew.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions; cool. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, peas, celery, apricots and almonds. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, lime juice, mint, salt and pepper; shake well.
- Stir rice into chicken mixture; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 386 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Chicken and Brown Rice Salad in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007