Dried apricots, a hint of mint and lime juice combine with more conventional chicken salad ingredients in this unique, easy and refreshing twist on an old favorite from our Test Kitchen crew.
Recommended: 99 of Our Favorite Chicken Dinner Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions; cool. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, peas, celery, apricots and almonds. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, lime juice, mint, salt and pepper; shake well.
- Stir rice into chicken mixture; drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Rice Salad in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007, p16