VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup apricot jam, warmed
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Stir in flour and nuts; mix well. Set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining mixture into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In another small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add the egg, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Spread the jam over cooled crust. Pour cream cheese mixture over jam. Sprinkle with reserved topping mixture; press down lightly. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 bars.
Originally published as Apricot Cheesecake Bars in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p272