Apricot Cheese Bread
I like to make this fruity bread in a bundt pan for special occasions such as Christmas or Easter morning. Cream cheese, apricots and pecans make it a tantalizing treat.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, flour and orange zest until smooth; set aside. Soak apricots in warm water for 15 minutes; drain well. Cut apricots into small pieces; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, orange juice, oil and water. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans and apricots. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with cream cheese filling and remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 235 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Apricot Cheese Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.