Apricot Carrot Bread
"Since I am on a low-fat diet due to heart problems, I like slices of this sunny-looking quick bread," reports Geneva Cooper from Greeley, Colorado, "The loaf is lower in fat, but still tastes delicious."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (14 slices)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the carrots, applesauce, egg substitute and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Stir in apricots.
- Spoon into an 8x4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and water; drizzle over bread.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 139 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Apricot Carrot Bread in Quick Cooking November/December 2001