Apricot Caramel Tart
Our recipe specialists fill a buttery shortbread crust with a sweet apricot and caramel filling for an appealing finish to any holiday meal. Be sure to chill the dough overnight for easier handling. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups slivered almonds
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon water
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Place slivered almonds in a food processor; cover and process until chopped. Add the flour, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, coriander and salt; cover and pulse to blend. Add butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg yolks, lemon juice and almond extract; cover and process until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into two portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each one in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Let dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Press larger portion of dough onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Combine preserves with ice cream topping; spread over crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim and seal edges. Beat egg and water; brush over lattice top. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and sliced almonds. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 483 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Almond Apricot Caramel Torte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.