Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2-1/4 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, bring apricots and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until water is absorbed and fruit is tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a food processor; add brown sugar. Cover and process until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat butter and remaining water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40-45 minutes.
- Punch dough down; divide into thirds. On greased baking sheets, roll out each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spread filling down the center of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over braids.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 220 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 29, 2009
This is awesome. Half of it was gone before I could even glaze it! There was just the right amount of filling too. I refrigerated it overnight after shaping the braid and then removed it from the oven and let rise for 20 minutes then baked it. It was wonderful.