When I need to feed a crowd, this large lovely loaf comes in handy. Golden raisins and dried apricots give it a nicely sweet flavor while walnuts add a little crunch.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup chopped golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Vanilla Glaze
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening and salt; beat until smooth. Add the egg, raisin, apricots, walnuts, lemon zest and 1 cup flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into five portions. Shape each portion into an 18-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Twist the two remaining ropes together. Pinch ends to seal. Place on top of braid; tuck ends under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 224 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.