Chewy apricots paired with crispy rice cereal and pecans are an unbeatable combination. This recipe doesn't require a candy thermometer, plus the mixture stays pliable awhile, so you don't have to rush.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar, egg, apricots, vanilla and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cereal and pecans. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in confectioners' sugar. Place on baking sheets; let stand until completely cool. Reroll in sugar if desired. Refrigerate in an airtight containers.
Originally published as Apricot Bonbons in Country Woman Christmas 2002