Blackberries became my favorite fruit after harvesting them from my grandfather’s yard in Greece. I mix them with apricots to make the pie of my dreams. —Simone Bazos, Baltimore, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup unblanched almonds, toasted
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups peeled and sliced fresh apricots
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse sugar
- Place almonds in a food processor; pulse until finely ground. Add flour, sugar and salt; pulse until blended. Add butter and cream cheese; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, gradually add buttermilk until mixture starts to form a ball. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add apricots and berries; toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes. Filling will be very juicy.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into strips about 1/2 in. wide. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with water. Brush over lattice strips; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake 45-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 506 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Apricot and Blackberry Pie in Taste of Home June/July 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.