Apricot Barley Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 2/3 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a large skillet, saute nuts in 2 tablespoons butter until lightly browned; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the barley and onions in remaining butter until onions are tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in the apricots, raisins and reserved nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 290 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 5, 2010
I've made this recipe several times for family and moose hunters.It was loved by everyone.
Aug 12, 2010
This didn't turn out that well for me. Some in my family liked it, others didn't. When I made this it got very dried out, yet was very sweet. I hope others have better luck with it.