Apricot-Banana Quick Bread
Banana and apricots lend sugary flavor to this tasty quick bread, and the addition of wheat germ gives it a nutritional pop. "I like to serve it as an after school snack or as an afternoon tea bread." Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas. Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into the banana mixture. Stir in apricots and lemon zest.
- Transfer to a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 168 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Jan 12, 2014
Good recipe to use up my big bag of dried apricots from Costco. It made 3 small loaves.
Jun 22, 2009
I substituted dried blueberries for the apricots and made muffins. They were delicious! My three year old devoured them!