Apricot Almond Torte Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 jar (10 to 12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Combine flour, almonds, baking powder and salt; gradually fold into egg mixture alternately with the whipped cream.
- 2. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and salt until smooth. Beat in extract. Fold in whipped cream.
- 4. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with another cake layer; spread with half the preserves. Repeat layers. Frost sides of cake; decorate the top edge with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 546 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Apricot Almond Torte
"There's a reason this cake is a contest winner! It is AMAZING! The flavors of the cake are great with the apricot preserves. The cake texture is also great - light and fluffy, not too dense. I even made this again with gluten-free flour with the same results. The only issue I had was the frosting not setting how I wanted - but that could easily have been my error :) Otherwise, the cake was gone FAST (puddle frosting and all!)."
"Such a light cake. My husband doesn't like apricots so I substituted peach preserves for the apricot, so good!"
"The apricot preserves pair so nicely with the almond flavoring! Can use this recipe for very special occasions!"
"I made this cake using a fluted tube pan because I don't have 9 in. pans and I baked it for about 50 minutes,it did not rise that much,so cut it horizontally only once,when I tasted the cake it self it tasted a bit too sweet for my taste but once I iced it the cream cheese balanced the sweetness making it taste so yummy,I will definitely make it again."
"Tried this recipe twice and both times the cake tore apart when transferring out of the pans."
"This is fabulous"
"I love this recipe. The first time I got a little bit messy with the icing but the second time was amazing. I would recomend it to anyone.... : )"
"I second and third all of the raving on this recipe. I've made this cake numerous times, and it's been a hit every time.I made the cupcake variation as well, and to give the frosting a little bit of texture, I crumbled waffle cone pieces throughout. Wonderful end-result!"
"And, I give it 10 stars"
"By far one of the best cakes ever. I LOVE it, will make again and again"
"This cake goes in to my "Keeper" file! Elegant and wonderful flavor. If you want to impress someone, this is it. Thank you for sharing."
"This was a huge hit a ladies coffee. Just the right amount of sweet and oh so devine with a cup of coffee."
"This is my new favorite cake! I also made it with blackberry preserves and decorated it with blackberries. The frosting makes a good fruit dip too."
"One word (said with a sigh) DIVINE! I made this for my mother's birthday. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe."
"Made it a few times now. One I will keep making,for it is a keeper. Second time put icing last by mistake. Looked just as good."
"I made this for a birthday. Everyone raved over it. One even said it took the place of her favorite cake!"
"Made a double batch - for one I followed the recipe exactly - for the other I made cupcakes (hollowed out the middle with a melon baller and filled the center with apricot preserves). The cake/cupcakes were loved by everyone. I may try it with raspberry or cherry preserves for the holidays."
"This is a really special cake and everyone loved it!"
"The cake is rather sweet, but adding the ground almonds to it makes for an amazing flavor. Can be served in very small slices."
"This is one of the best tortes I have ever tasted. Everyone who tasted it could not believe what a wonderful flavor it had."
"Chose this to make for Thanksgiving. It was a hit. I made the cake layers one day and assembled it the next day. My sister actually thought I contacted our local "cake lady" and bought the cake. The cake is dense so don't expect light airy cake layers, unless I did something wrong. It had one night in the fridge for the flavors to develop and perhaps soften the cake a little. For the top, I piped the edge on before putting the perserves on to keep them from running down over the sides. My sister wants to make this as a Christmas gift to give the nurses/aides on the floor that take care of our father."