Apricot Almond Bars
My friend Edie Mueller brought these beautiful bars to my Christmas cookie exchange, and I wouldn't let her leave without passing on the recipe!—Arliene Hillinger, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- In a bowl, beat flour, sugar, butter and shortening. Pat onto the bottom and 1/2 in. up the sides of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For topping, beat egg, sugar, preserves, butter and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Spread over hot crust. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 99 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Apricot Almond Bars in Taste of Home December/January 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.