VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1-1/3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
- In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, almonds, butter and extract. Pat a third into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Carefully spread half of the ice cream over crust. Spoon half of the preserves over the ice cream. Sprinkle with half of the remaining crumb mixture. Freeze for 20-30 minutes. Repeat layers. Freeze. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Apricot-almond Antarctica in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p35