"Oregon produces some of the best apples in the country, so we're always coming up with new and delicious ways to serve them," comments Jayne Schilling, who lives in Salem. "The sweet sauce with tender chunks of apple is heavenly over ice cream, gingerbread or pound cake."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour, water, lemon juice and salt; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add apples; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove from the heat; add butter and vanilla. Stir until butter is melted. Serve warm or at room temperature over ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 261 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Applescotch Sundaes in Quick Cooking September/October 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.