- 1-3/4 cups applesauce
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, bring the applesauce to a slow boil. Stir in oats; remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce mixture. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forApplesauce Oat Cake
"I did not make the frosting, but the cake was tasty!"
"I found this recipe in a news clipping from my Mom. It was published in the Petersburg, Va "The Progress-Index" in March of 1971 by Aileen Claire NEA food editor."