- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups applesauce
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Cinnamon-sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Stir in applesauce. Combine flour, baking soda and spices; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in nuts. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until muffins test done. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forApplesauce Muffins
"LOVE them!! this is my go to muffin recipe..... I have added craisins or a shredded apple.... possibilities are endless. I use my homemade applesauce and top it with homemade apple butter..."All-Day Apple Butter Recipe"..... thanks for sharing!!"
"Excellent recipe. I had cake flour on hand so I used that, but that was the only change. I did choose to sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar mixture, but doing this made them pretty sweet. I used sweetened applesauce and I wonder if I would prefer unsweetened next time or just eliminate the the cinnamon sugar mix on top. I cooked 20 minutes and the muffin came out really tender. I would make again. I did cut the recipe in half because there are only two of us here and I am going to try freezing a few to eat at a later time."
"Delicious!I made a couple adjustments:I made half the recipe and 42 mini muffins and I used half the sugar besides. I also used whole wheat flour, omitted the walnuts, and used nutmeg instead of allspice (I didn't have any allspice on hand)"
"These were good and flavorful. Also easy to make. I think next time I will add something for a little more moisture. But overall,the recipe is a keeper"
"I was looking for a new fall desert recipe and came across this one. I made it immediately and my wife and I thought it was very good. I'll be making these again soon (with butter cream frosting)"
"Excellent muffins - followed directions exactly but only made 1/2 the recipe as it is only my husband and me. Will definitely make again."
"Good. I adjusted for altitude by taking out some of butter and sugar. Tasty!"
"Made these and my mother in law loved them. Before baking, I added a bit of honey and coarse sugar on top. They were all gone in 2 days. Her 2 sons and i helped though."