Applesauce Muffin Mix
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine the first five ingredients. In a 1-pint glass jar, layer 3/4 cup flour, oats, sugar mixture and remaining flour. Cover and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 1 batch (about 2 cups total).
- To prepare muffins: Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg, applesauce, butter and vanilla. Stir in muffin mix just until moistened. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 240 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 10, 2016
This makes delicious muffins that are definitely gift-worthy! The spice and sweetness are well-balanced, and the oats give the muffins a slightly nutty flavor and a nice texture. I especially like that this recipe calls for pantry staples and that the batter pulls together so quickly. The muffins are large when dividing only among nine muffin cups but they're a good size for a snack or light breakfast.
Sep 6, 2016
We loved these muffins! Not only easy, quick to put together but perfect taste and texture. Made exactly as written, even popped out of pan easily. Four of them were quickly eaten warm out of the oven! Next batch will double! As a volunteer field editor for Taste of Home magazine I love recipes that use ingredients normal have on hand but tasty enough to give as gift.
Sep 6, 2016
I thought the recipe for gifting was a great idea. I didn't wait but mixed it up right away. I only made 2 muffins and held the rest to try different approaches. It was a little too bland for my taste. The 2nd group of Two I added a few dried Apple pieces and a dash of ginger, better flavor. The 3 rd group I added craisins, and used a kiddy pack of cranberry applesauce, it was good, not Apple flavored but good none the less. All in all this makes a wonderful base muffin mix to add personal touches to, coconut, almonds, extracts, etc.
Sep 3, 2016
I did not care for these. The nutmeg flavor was overpowering.
Feb 14, 2015
I make these a lot. One of my favorite muffin recipes. Uses on-hand ingredients. Very delicious. Young children especially enjoy these.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.