- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine the first five ingredients. In a 1-pint glass jar, layer 3/4 cup flour, oats, sugar mixture and remaining flour. Cover and store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 1 batch (about 2 cups total).
- To prepare muffins: Preheat oven to 375°. Combine egg, applesauce, butter and vanilla. Stir in muffin mix just until moistened. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
1 each: 240 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.