- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Add to applesauce mixture; mix well. Stir in the raisins and walnuts. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forApplesauce Loaf Cake
"I made adjustments on this recipe when I'd first prepared it: i used 1/4 cup butter or margarine & I used 1 tsp. salt with sifted dry ingredients! I also used 1/8 cup all-purpose flourwith raisins and added 1/2 cup chopped pecans OR walnuts and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. I'd also added 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange to the creamed mixture for added flavor and I'd used two 8-1/2x4-1/2x2-1/2" greased and floured loaf pans or three 7-1/2x3-1/2" greased and floured loaf pans. I baked 45 to 55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. I cooled in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Thank you, Pamela Kelley, for sharing your recipe! delowenstein"