“This recipe is so easy and elegant.” The heartwarming flavors of applesauce combine with vanilla ice cream to create an irresistible treat. Wendy Curtin - Newtown, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 39 Healthy Snacks That Make Kids Happy
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2-1/2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in applesauce. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; fold into applesauce mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Frost top, sides and ends with whipped topping. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before cutting. Drizzle with caramel topping if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Applesauce Cake Roll in Simple & Delicious March/April 2009, p60
Reviews forApplesauce Ice Cream Cake Roll
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 1, 2011
"Loved this - ate it during the half time of a football game and it was awesome!"
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2010
"Did not care for it"