Applesauce Ice Cream Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + freezing
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2-1/2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in applesauce. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; fold into applesauce mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread ice cream evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Frost top, sides and ends with whipped topping. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before cutting. Drizzle with caramel topping if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 263 calories, 9g fat (7g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 1, 2011
Loved this - ate it during the half time of a football game and it was awesome!
Mar 20, 2010
Did not care for it
Mar 18, 2010
This applesauce cake roll is so easy to make and so simple to finish, it's a keeper for sure and one my family will be making many more times. It's so good when done, it's just plain delicious.