- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Nellie’s Free Range Egg
- 1-1/4 cups applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and applesauce; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forApplesauce Bread
"Love, love, love! The first time I made it, it was gone the first day. The 2nd time I used homemade pear sauce. Again, gone in one day. Today I doubled the recipe, got 4 foil pans (not the mini but next size up). These will be Christmas gifts with my homemade caramel sauce....if I can keep hubby out of them! Delicious! Thank you!!"
"You don't need to change a thing, perfect, moist, loved the raisins, reminded me of a bread pudding a little bit. I suppose you could make it without them too."
"I made this recipe with only a few minor changes. I substituted the raisins for dried cranberries, and I used a mini loaf pan that makes 12 mimi loafs. My neighbors loved it."
"This recipe could be improved. The baking powder should be simply 1 teaspoon , and the baking soda should be 1/2 teaspoon. One- third cup of butter is 5 and 1/3 Tablespoons of Butter--a rather bizarre choice-- you can safely use 6 Tablespoons of butter. If you want it warmly spiced, use 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cloves or allspice."
"so good! i used a little less sugar and skipped the raisins and it was still delicious. next time, i'll add the raisins because i like changing things up for the family."
"This is an excellent recipe. Great texture and taste."
"I was so pleased with this. I will definitely make again but won't use a serrated knife to cut or it falls apart even when it is cooled. I left out the raisins and the walnuts. Fantastic!"
"It was easy to make and turned out great. My kids loved it!"
"Very good. My treat hounds devoured it in 2 days. We subbed dried cranberries and pecans for raisins and walnuts, cuz that's what we had."
"Delicious!! I did reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup (I only had sweetened applesauce) and added 1/2 cup whole wheat flour to 1 cup white flour. Very tasty and a wonderful texture."