Applesauce Barbecue Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup chunky applesauce
- 2/3 cup spicy barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over chicken. Cover and cook 7-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°. Freeze option: Cool chicken; transfer to a freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half: 308 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 473mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2018
Oct 3, 2017
My family loved this. The only adjustments I made was to use fresh homemade chunky applesauce and homemade barbecue sauce. I'm a diabetic, so the carbs and sodium where way too high, to use all that pre-package stuff. Excellent recipe!
Feb 20, 2017
Awesome flavour! A definite make again.
Aug 7, 2016
Followed the recipe except After browning the chicken on the stove I put all in crockpot for about 4 hours on low. Tender and good!
Mar 1, 2016
For as simple as it is, it packs a lot of flavor. I will be making this over and over again for my man.
Feb 4, 2016
If using homemade applesauce omit the brown sugar (if desired) as it already has the sugar in it. Try with pork chops or pork tenderloin. Bake in oven at 350 if desired for a change.
Dec 29, 2015
Very tasty. Had this with a Caesar salad!!!
Jul 31, 2015
Made this for dinner last night. VERY easy & uncomplicated which is what I need lol! I made it with skinless thighs & it was wonderful. Whole family loved the sauce. Immediately added to my rotation folder.
Jun 15, 2015
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. I love it because it comes together quickly and that you can change it up depending on your family. I typically use a barbeque sauce with a little more spice to it and I stead of chunky applesauce, I use whatever I have in the house. Either way, it's turned out well every time I've made it and both kids and adults have enjoyed it. Definitely in my rotation.
Apr 10, 2015
Absolutely delicious!!! So easy to make!