Apple Wheat Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt, applesauce and oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the apple, raisins and orange zest.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter.
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 159 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Feb 24, 2013
Didn't have bran, so ground up some oatmeal, and added flax too. Added 1 egg white, and all Spenda. These are so tasty --and healty!
Oct 4, 2012
When I looked at how healthy the ingredients were, I thought I would try them as a way to be healthy. They were surprisingly tastey.
Sep 24, 2009
i added grinder full of ground flax seed also
Sep 24, 2009
loved this recipe, changed it a bit, doubled cinnamon,doubled recipe and used 1/2 c of slenda instead of suger,added lots of berries fantastic
Nov 6, 2008
this recipe is good.but i tried this recipe also with soy vanilla yogurt instead of reduced fat vanilla yogurt and increase the grated apple to 1 and 1/2 cup grated apple and no raisins, came out very good and delicious.