Apple Wheat Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt, applesauce and oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the apple, raisins and orange zest.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter.
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 159 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 24, 2013
Didn't have bran, so ground up some oatmeal, and added flax too. Added 1 egg white, and all Spenda. These are so tasty --and healty!
Oct 4, 2012
When I looked at how healthy the ingredients were, I thought I would try them as a way to be healthy. They were surprisingly tastey.
Sep 24, 2009
i added grinder full of ground flax seed also
Sep 24, 2009
loved this recipe, changed it a bit, doubled cinnamon,doubled recipe and used 1/2 c of slenda instead of suger,added lots of berries fantastic
Nov 6, 2008
this recipe is good.but i tried this recipe also with soy vanilla yogurt instead of reduced fat vanilla yogurt and increase the grated apple to 1 and 1/2 cup grated apple and no raisins, came out very good and delicious.