Apple Walnut Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional milk, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, egg, milk, 1 tablespoon butter, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Spread nut mixture over crust.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss apples with remaining lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; toss with apples. Spoon over the nut mixture; dot with remaining butter.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush top with a additional milk if desired. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 468 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Apple Walnut Pie
"This was delicious! I'm an inexperienced cook, so of course I undercooked it and it was runny and pretty crunchy, and I failed at making my own crust, BUT, the flavors that came out of it were so wonderful, I loved the walnut. I'll definitely make this again. Or attempt to ;)"
"does anyone have a recipe for an awesome red velvet cake?"
"Hello there! I tried your recipe a few days ago (Monday, 6/22/09) & I am in love with it. It is the best! The only 3 changes I made are: I used vanilla soy milk instead bcause I had no milk at home and I used chopped walnuts for added crunchiness instead of ground walnuts, & I used 1/4 cup of raisins to replace the other 1/4 cup of white sugar. This deliciously wonderful recipe will be added to my "favorite apple pie" recipe collection! It's definitely now one of my fav desserts; there is a surprise in every bite. Highly recommended! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!!"