I tinkered with a plain apple cake recipe to create this moist, delicious winner. The result: old-fashioned goodness with a heavenly aroma! This cake is the perfect fall treat or holiday dessert, but it’s also great as a special breakfast or brunch item. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- Beat first six ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 65-75 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool slightly.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, orange zest and enough juice to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over warm cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Walnut Cake with Orange Glaze in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p215