Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 6 pork chops (3/4 to 1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup raisins, divided
- 3 medium apples, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil over medium heat. Place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Place onion rings over the chops. Sprinkle with two-thirds of the raisins. Arrange the apple slices on top and sprinkle with remaining raisins. Combine the apple juice, brown sugar, salt, basil, nutmeg and cloves; pour over all. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is tender.
Oct 12, 2011
I browned the chops in an oven-proof skillet and then just baked them in that with the lid on along with the other ingredients. This kept all of the carmelized stuff in the bottom of the pan that adds so much flavor to the sauce. I would add just a little more apple juice (a tablespoon or two) just to keep the chops from drying out. My chops were very lean and they needed a little something to help them. It turned out well, though.