Complete with apples, walnuts, brown sugar and a dash of allspice, slices of this moist cake are perfect with coffee. Not many coffee cakes are baked in a springform pan but, in this case, the results are incredible. —David Heppner of Brandon, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled apples
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, egg white, yogurt, applesauce, oil and vanilla; beat until smooth. Combine the dry ingredients; add to butter mixture, beating just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with apples and walnuts. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice; sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 375° for 47-52 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 268 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Apple Cake in Light & Tasty December/January 2006