Apple Sweet Potato Side
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 30 min.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (2-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 4 medium)
- 3/4 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 30-45 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes.
- Place apples in a large saucepan and cover with water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place apples and sweet potatoes in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine apple juice concentrate, 1-1/2 cups water, sugars and salt. Combine cornstarch with remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into apple juice concentrate mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Pour over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Jan 26, 2014
This was good. I did cut back on the amount of sugar. Very tasty.
Jan 8, 2012
Even the sweet potato haters tried this one. And it was tasty as a left-over, too! Even the kids liked it.
Dec 6, 2009
I did exactly what the recipe called for and it turned out great. My husband really loved it. Thank you for sharing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.