Apple & Sweet Potato Quinoa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 medium Gala or Honeycrisp apples, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan, combine stock and quinoa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and shallots; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add apples; cook and stir 6-8 minutes longer until potatoes and apples are tender.
- Stir in wine and salt. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, until wine is evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir in black beans and quinoa; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 423 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 10g fiber), 12g protein.
Dec 11, 2018
This is such a unique pairing of flavors that just works. I did add some garlic to it but other then that I didn't change a thing and it turned out delicious. I will definitely be making this again in the future.
Feb 23, 2018
So good! I did add some cumin, garlic, and fresh cilantro for extra flavor. I bet the leftovers will be great wrapped in a corn tortilla!