Apple & Sweet Potato Quinoa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 medium Gala or Honeycrisp apples, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large saucepan, combine stock and quinoa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and shallots; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add apples; cook and stir 6-8 minutes longer until potatoes and apples are tender.
- Stir in wine and salt. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, until wine is evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir in black beans and quinoa; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 423 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 541mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 10g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 11, 2018
This is such a unique pairing of flavors that just works. I did add some garlic to it but other then that I didn't change a thing and it turned out delicious. I will definitely be making this again in the future.
Feb 23, 2018
So good! I did add some cumin, garlic, and fresh cilantro for extra flavor. I bet the leftovers will be great wrapped in a corn tortilla!