Nila also sends along her recipe for Apple-Stuffed Squash, which will give any meal a real taste of autumn.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tart apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sprinkle squash with salt. In a small skillet, saute apple slices and raisins in butter until apples are tender. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon into squash halves; place in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until squash is tender.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 301 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 6g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Apple-Stuffed Squash in Taste of Home October/November 1997