Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
When my family asks me to serve chicken for dinner, I usually prepare these elegant stuffed chicken rolls. I can easily double the recipe for a crowd.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry or additional unsweetened apple juice
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. Set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add apple; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the bread crumbs, basil, rosemary and remaining salt; heat through.
- Top each piece of chicken with 3 tablespoons apple mixture. Roll up and secure with toothpicks; coat with flour. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until browned on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir apple juice and sherry or additional juice into pan, stirring to loosen any browned bits. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; discard toothpicks. Add remaining butter to pan juices; whisk until blended. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 143 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Apple Stuffed Chicken Breasts in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007